GATE 2016 – Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2016 is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. All details for applying Gate 2016 is given below i.e application form,eligibility criteria,dates etc.
ABOUT GATE 2016
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) jointly administer the conduct of GATE. The operations related to GATE in each of the 8 zones are managed by a zonal GATE Office at the IITs or IISc.
The GATE score of a candidate reflects a relative performance level in a particular subject in the examination across several years. The score is used for admissions to post-graduate programs (e.g., M. E., M. Tech, direct Ph.D.) in centrally funded Indian institutes of higher education and by some Public and Private Sector Undertakings for employment processes. Direct recruitment to Group A level posts i.e., Senior Field Office (SFO Tele), Senior Research Officer (SRO) (Crypto) and SRO(S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat is now being done on the basis of GATE 2016 scores.
GATE 2016 is conducted through the collaboration of eight zones which are as follow
Gate 2016 Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science
Gate 2016 Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Gate 2016 Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
Gate 2016 Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Gate 2016 Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Gate 2016 Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Gate 2016 Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Gate 2016 Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
NEW IN GATE 2016
An online virtual calculator will be available to examinees at the time of examination. No physical calculator will be allowed. The online virtual calculator will be put on GATE 2016 website for practice before the examination
After completion of GATE 2016 examination, all answer keys will be made available for dispute within a short time. Every answer key can be challenged. A nominal fee will be levied to prevent frivolous challenges.
A new paper Petroleum Engineering (PE) is introduced in GATE 2016. With this, the total number of papers is 23
QUICK LINKS FOR GATE 2016
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR GATE 2016
Before starting the application process, the candidate must ensure that he/she meets the eligibility criteria of GATE 2016 given in Table
In case a candidate has passed one of the qualifying examinations as mentioned in 2015 or earlier, the candidate has to submit the degree certificate / provisional certificate / course completion certificate / professional ceritificate / membership certificate issued by the society or institute.
Certificate from Principle
Candidates who have to submit a certificate from their college Principal have to obtain one from his/her institution beforehand and upload the same during the online submission of the application form.
Candidates with Backlogs
Candidates, who have appeared in the final semester/year exam in 2015, but with a backlog (arrears/failed subjects) in any of the papers in their qualifying degree should upload a copy of any one of the mark sheets of the final year
OR obtain a declaration from their Principal along with the signature and seal beforehand and upload the same during the online submission of the application form.
ELIGIBILITY DOCUMENTS FOR GATE 2016
Eligibility criteria and necessary supporting documents can be found from the paragraph immediately following Table
Candidates who are in SC or ST or PwD category have to upload a valid documentary evidence
Certificate from Principal
Candidates who mention that they are yet to complete their course, will have to upload a certificate from the Principal. This certificate must mandatorily have the signature and seal of the college Principal with current date
INSTRUCTIONS FOR GATE 2016
Some instructions to be noted while applying for GATE 2016 which are as follows:
- Examinations for all the 23 papers will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type.
- Biometric information (Photograph and Fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination.
- GATE 2016 examinations will be held during forenoon and afternoon sessions on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) between 30th January 2016 and 7th February 2016. Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2016 will be held in multiple sessions. Exact details regarding complete examination schedule will be notified at a later date.
- For GATE 2016 the entire process of filling up of application form, uploading of certificates/documents etc., will be online and the candidates should not send any hard copy of their application form/documents etc., to IISc or any of the IIT’s zonal GATE office.
- The payment of application fees would be through electronic mode online as well as through payment at bank counters using e-challan.
- The admit cards for GATE 2016 would be available through the online process only. Candidates can download their admit card from GATE 2016 website. No printed copy of admit cards will be posted to the candidates.
EXAM PATTERN FOR GATE 2016
The question paper for GATE 2016 will consist of questions of both multiple-choice type and numerical answer type. For multiple choice type questions, candidates have to choose the answer from the given choices. For numerical answer type questions, candidates have to enter a number as the answer using a virtual keypad
In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying a total of 15 marks will be on General Aptitude (GA). In the papers bearing the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, the Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper
In the papers bearing the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper. GATE 2016 would contain questions of two different types in various papers:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer(s).
- Numerical Answer Questions of 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. For these questions the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this type of questions.
EXAM DETAILS FOR GATE 2016
GATE 2016 will be conducted in the subjects. Since a candidate is allowed to appear in ONLY ONE of the 23 papers for which GATE 2016 examination is being held, the candidate has to make the choice of the paper he/she wishes to write carefully. For which separate code is given below
LIST OF CITIES FOR EXAM OF GATE 2016
The tentative list of the cities (zone-wise) in which GATE 2016 will be held are given below
KEY DATES FOR GATE 2016
|GATE 2016 Online Application Processing System
(GOAPS) Website Opens
|1st September 2015|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application||1st October 2015 (23:59 Hrs)|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice
|20th November 2015|
|Availability of Admit Card||17th December 2015|
|GATE 2016 Online Examination||30th January, 1st, 6th
and 7th February 2016
|Announcement of Results Online||19th March 2016(17:00 Hrs)|